Keto-Friendly Paleo Chicken & Waffles with Zapples
Paleo, keto chicken and waffles. YES. This classic pairing is spiced up with our Paleo Powder Pink and ready to become a weekly dinner fav.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Chicken & Marinade
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (13.5 oz) full fat coconut milk
- Juice from half a lemon
- 2–4 tablespoons Paleo Powder Pink (separated)
- 2 cups plain pork rinds ground up into breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely ground almond flour
- Oil for frying (we suggest avocado oil)
- 1 tablespoon of butter or ghee
Zapples (Keto Zucchini Apples)
1–2 zucchini peeled, seeded and sliced into apple- sized slices (for Paleo option, use real apples and skip this section)
2 tablespoons maple syrup (sugar free for Keto) plus 3/4 cup, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Use your favorite Paleo or Keto-friendly waffle recipe or mix. For this recipe, we used Birch Benders Paleo Pancake & Waffle Mix.
Whisk coconut milk, 1–2 tablespoons Paleo Powder Pink, and lemon juice together in a large bowl. Add chicken to coconut milk mixture. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour (overnight is best)
While chicken is marinating, start the Zapples by placing the sliced zucchini in a small bowl and cover with 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet with an inch or two of the oil of your choice. While the oil is heating up, drain the chicken from the coconut milk mixture but leave wet enough to adhere the pork rind mixture. Roll the chicken in the pork rind mixture until completely coated on both sides.
- Fry for 5 to 7 minutes on each side until breadcrumbs are crunchy and chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, heat a smaller skillet and add 1 tablespoon of butter or ghee. When butter is melted, add the zucchini mixture. Saute until zucchini is soft and resembles cooked apples in texture (about 8 minutes). Keep warm on low while chicken finishes cooking.
- Assemble your chicken and waffles! Waffle on the bottom, chicken in the middle, and top with your Zapples! Serve with extra syrup if desired!
Use our Store Locator to find Paleo Powder near you!